Saturday, October 15, 2011

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell - Standalone Complex and found a tiny music gem in one of the episodes. Sadly I havn't found the instrumental version from the episode. It's not that I mind the singing, but this mechanical hi-hat/snare does screw the tune up a bit. Yoko Kanno produced and wrote the tune. It's called "Where does this ocean go" and is sung by Ilaria Graziano. Here it is:


What I love is the cord progression of the chorus (0:55). It reminds me a little of Jon Hopkins "Light through the veins" which I love dearly. Also, almost everything by Yoko Kanno is worth a listen. To me she's the japanese Pat Metheney: deep insight into musical drama, and not afraid to use it.

2 comments:

  1. I just went through my "like"-list on Youtube and I realized that Yoko has gotten the most likes out of me.. I do give them rarely, so it speaks volumes of how much I admire her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8A6bxtdDXw

    ReplyDelete